650g pumpkin or squash, peeled and cut into chunks
1 large potato peeled, chopped and par-boiled 5 mins
2 carrots peeled and chopped into chunks
1 red pepper cut into chunks
1 large onion diced
2 tins chopped tomatoes
100g chopped dried apricots
Good pinch of saffron soaked in 2 tbsp warm water for 10 mins
3 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 tsp dried ginger
½ -1tbsp harissa paste according to taste
2 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 cinnamon stick
4 tbsp chopped parsley
2 preserved lemons or zest and juice of a lemon
1 tsp turmeric
1-2 tsp honey
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat and add onions, ginger, cumin, nutmeg and turmeric and cook for 5mins stirring occasionally.
- Add pumpkin, carrot, potato and harissa paste and cook 2 mins
- Add tomatoes, parsley, saffron and cover with hot vegetable stock.
- Season with salt and pepper and cinnamon stick and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add preserved lemon, red pepper, honey and cook for another 5 mins or until pumpkin and potato are tender. Check seasoning and add more stock if it becomes too thick.
- Serve with bulghur wheat cooked as per packet instructions, with sultanas, pistachio or pine nuts and parsley stirred through and Greek Yogurt sprinkled with dried chilli flakes.
- Transport tagine to beach in a wide necked thermos flask.